"The community of Grosse Pointe South High School is committed to ensure that all Grosse Pointe South High School graduates demonstrate the knowledge, creativity and skills necessary to establish self-worth as independent, contributing members of society, prepared for life-long learning and success in a changing world."

Monday, November 17, 2008

Sometimes The Best Advice Is Just To Watch

The past couple of weeks has been a bit of a learning experience for me. I guess I didn't realize people had such strong and personal feelings about issues that appear more neutral to me.

My previous blog was written in the early stages of feedback about the school's performance of "The Laramie Project". Since that time, most of the buzz has died down even as the opening of the play draws nearer. However, I still get an occasional email or voice mail message where someone shares their very strong opinion. Most people are still supportive of the school's position but there are occasions where I am criticized. What has surprised me is the depth of feelings.

I was told by the Farms police today that we should expect the protest to take place. The requested time is 2:45-3:30 on Friday afternoon, November 21, the day the play is to open. They claim to be sending 4-6 people and have already requested the appropriate permits and the particular area for the protest.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church are very legally astute and they will do their part to operate within the law. They are probably hoping that members of our community will engage them in a war of words, or worse. I believe the best action we can take is to let them protest for their 45 minutes and leave peacefully for their next appointment.

Our goal should be simply to observe the actions and reactions that result from endorsing a controversial play like "The Laramie Project". Because of the protest, our bubble of Grosse Pointe will get to experience the wide-ranging views of many observers. Some will be vocal, but most will not. Either way, watching it unfold should cause us to think and give us a brief glimpse of true democracy in action.

1 comment:

Sal DeMercurio said...

I was deeply and positively moved by The Laramie Project. You, Lois Bendler, and the cast are to be commended for the mature theatrical presentation of a controversial subject in view of recent publications in the G.P.News. Being a retired Drama teacher after 36 year in the Detroit system, realizing that both my children acted on South's same stage, and witnessing the bold direction of dramatic education, I have never been prouder to call myself 'teacher'.

Sal DeMercurio