"The community of Grosse Pointe South High School is committed to ensure that all Grosse Pointe South High School graduates demonstrate the knowledge, creativity and skills necessary to establish self-worth as independent, contributing members of society, prepared for life-long learning and success in a changing world."

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Filled With Pride...

As most of you know, I've been a school administrator for a long time. In addition, this is the fourth high school where I have been principal. However, this past weekend contained a series of firsts for me. It's the first school where we have been picketed by an outside group. The reason of course was the Point Player production of "The Laramie Project". The Westboro group did show up, even though there were only three of them.

Another first for me was the tremendous show of support for our students and school by members of the Christ Church congregation. I have to personally thank Rev. Brad Whitaker for his organization of a most impressive and visible (but silent) show of support. I would estimate the throng that followed the protesters from the church to the school to be in the neighborhood of 100-150 adults. Their symbolic act was to shield the students from the protesters by turning their back to them. It was very moving for me to see that many people assemble on a Friday afternoon for the sake of doing what is right and to support the students of South.

Another proud moment for me was to watch the South students that did assemble near the protesters once school was dismissed. The students, while passionate, allowed the protesters to do their thing and did not attempt to engage them in a negative manner. The Laramie cast was there in full force and many pictures were taken. I couldn't help but think that specific 30 minutes must have made them feel all the rehearsals were worthwhile.

The capstone of the weekend for me was the performance of the play. Without question, this was the most significant school play during all my years in education. There was an electricity in the auditorium even prior to the curtain going up, and the house was full. I guess we should thank Westboro for all of the free publicity.

The show itself was simply terrific! Lois Bendler was the director and provided consistent, steady leadership throughout the events leading up the performance. Each of the students did a great job and it was hard to believe they were high school students. I can't imagine a professional group providing a more passionate performance.

There were countless moving moments during the show and many tears were shed by those in the audience. Everyone involved with this production has earned my utmost respect for their efforts in putting on a performance that will have lasting impact. I left convinced that the message of tolerance and respect for others will live in the hearts of those in the audience, and cast.

All in all, "The Laramie Project" brought with it a great deal of controversy. I would be lying if I told you I was not the least bit concerned that something could go wrong. However, in retrospect it was a tremendous show with a powerful message and like so many performances with South students, it was superb. I couldn't be more proud of what they have done.

No comments: